Hyderabad Telephone Companies
Growing demand and industry deregulation has led to an increasingly large number of landline and mobile telephone companies in India.
Many of these companies provide landline and/or mobile telephone services in the Hyderabad area.
Since the telecommunications services in India are changing rapidly, please click on phone company names listed below for additional information from company websites - including the latest updates on service availability in Hyderabad as well as coverage and pricing plans.
Check here for more information on India's telecommunications industry, including regulatory agencies and major trade groups.
If you are aware of changes to the company information below, please leave a comment.
The following telephone companies are the largest landline phone companies in India. Several of these companies provide landline service in the Hyderabad area.
Please check company websites for service availability, coverage and plan details.
- Bharti Airtel - Bharti Airtel is an integrated carrier with growing presence across all of India's 23 telecom circles. The company provides landline and mobile services in 94 cities, including Hyderabad, and has the largest mobile subscriber base.
- BSNL - Government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) is the largest and oldest telephone operator in India. It provides both landline and mobile phone service nationwide, except for Delhi and Mumbai where MTNL operates (see below). Until the late 1990s, it had a monopoly on telecom services and is still the largest phone company in the country.
- HFCL Connect - HFCL Connect is a smaller telephone company started in 2000. Currently, they serve only Punjab - they do not currently provide service in Hyderabad. In Punjab, the company provides landline, mobile, and internet services.
- MTNL - Government-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) provides landline, mobile phone, and internet services only in Delhi and Mumbai. It is the sister organization to BSNL and is a major incumbent telephone operator in India.
- MTS India - MTS India is a relatively new full service carrier that provides landline phones or other services in 6 telecom circles, including Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, and Kolkata. MTS is operated by Shyam TeleServices, a joint venture between Sistema, a Russian company, and Shyam Group of India.
- Reliance Communications - Reliance Communications has grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 2002. The company provides both landline and mobile services in Hyderabad.
- Tata Indicom - Tata Indicom provides both landline and mobile services in Hyderabad. The company has grown rapidly since launching in 1996 and especially since the acquisition of Hughes Telecom in 2002.
Back to top
The following companies are the largest mobile phone providers in India. Many provide GSM or CDMA mobile phone service in the Hyderabad area.
Please check company websites for service availability, coverage, and plan details.
- Aircel (GSM) - Aircel is a growing mobile provider which currently provides service in several telecom circles, including coverage in Hyderabad. As of mid-2008, the company had also obtained rights to operate in additional circles, including Delhi (Metro), Mumbai (Metro), Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra & Goa, Rajasthan, Punjab, UP (West) and UP (East).
- Bharti Airtel (GSM) - Bharti Airtel has become India's largest mobile telephone company and has the only truly national network. It provides services in all of India's 23 telecom circles, including the Hyderabad area. Airtel provides GSM mobile services.
- BPL Mobile (GSM) - BPL Mobile is a smaller mobile carrier that currently provides service only in Hyderabad (Metro) circle.
- BSNL Cell One (GSM) - Government-owned BSNL, India's largest phone company, provides mobile phone service in Hyderabad.
- MTNL (GSM) - Government-owned MTNL provides GSM mobile phone services only in Delhi and Mumbai.
- IDEA Cellular (GSM) - IDEA Cellular, traded on the Bombay Exchange, operates GSM mobile networks across India. It has licenses to operate in all 22 circles, including: Andhra Pradesh (including Hyderabad), Delhi (inclusive of NCR), Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh & Chattisgarh, Mumbai, Maharashtra & Goa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh (West), and Uttar Pradesh (East). IDEA acquired Spice Communications in 2008.
- MTS India - MTS India is a growing full service carrier that provides mobile phones or other services in 6 telecom circles, including Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, and Kolkata. MTS is operated by Shyam TeleServices, a joint venture between Sistema, a Russian company, and Shyam Group of India.
- Reliance Communications (GSM/CDMA) - Reliance Mobile operates a CDMA network in Hyderabad and elsewhere in India. The company's mobile operations have grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 2002.
- Tata Indicom (CDMA) - Tata Indicom provides CDMA mobile services in Hyderabad and 1,000 other cities across India. The company has grown rapidly throughout India since launching in 1996 and especially since the acquisition of Hughes Telecom in 2002.
- Virgin Mobile (GSM) - Virgin Mobile is a new brand operating across India. The company partners with Tata Teleservices to provide mobile phones with a focus on serving younger customers. Virgin Mobile provides services in Hyderabad.
- Vodafone India (GSM) - Vodafone India provides GSM mobile services in Hyderabad and elsewhere across India. The company acquired Hutchinson Telecom in 2007 to accelerate growth. In the same year, it also acquired additional GSM mobile licenses.
Back to top
Back to top